Thanks to Dr. Rob Landel and the California Orthopaedic Manual Physical Therapy Special Interest Group for the following post.
- 61% of complications due to chiropractic and only 5% (12/220) due to PT (1)
- 87% of complications due to chiropractors and only 6% (6/98) due to PT (2)
- 70% of complications due to chiropractors and only 2% & no deaths due to PT (3)
Published review of medical literature over a 77‐year period found only 10 reports of cauda equina syndrome (a medical emergency lower spinal cord injury) after lower back TJM; none of those injuries were caused by PTs (4)
- Assendelft WJJ, Bouter L.M., Knipschild PG. Complications of spinal manipulation. A comprehensive review of the literature. The Journal of Family Practice 1996; 42(5):475‐480.
- Patijn J. Complications in manual medicine: a review of the literature. J Man Med 1991; 6:89‐92.
- DiFabio RP. Manipulation of the cervical spine: risks and benefits. Phys Ther. 1999;79(1):50‐65.
- Haldeman S, Rubinstein SM. Cauda Equina Syndrome in patients undergoing manipulation of the lumbar spine.Spine. 1992;17(12):1469‐1473.