- Keep your back, stomach, and leg muscles strong and flexible
- Keep your body in alignment, so it can be more efficient when you move
- Don’t slouch-keep good posture
- Use good body positioning at work, home, or during leisure activities
- When lifting, keep the load close to your body
- Ask for help or use an assistive device to lift heavy objects
- Maintain a regular physical fitness regimen, staying active can help to prevent injuries
How Saanichton Physiotherapy Physical Therapists Can Help:
Not all low back pain is the same and your treatment should be tailored to suit your specific condition. You should expect the following from a physical therapist at Saanichton Physiotherapy.
- Individualized assessment: Your physical therapist will ask you a number of questions about your specific condition and will thoroughly examine you for problems with posture, flexibility, strength, joint mobility, and movement. Attention will be given to how you use your body at work, home, during sports, and at leisure.
- Individualized treatment plan: Once your assessment is complete your physical therapist will develop a plan designed for your specific type of back problem. This may consist of:
- Treatment to decrease pain and restore mobility
- Manual therapy techniques, including spinal manipulation, to improve mobility of joints and soft tissues.
- Specific strengthening and/or flexibility exercises
- Education about care of your back and training for proper lifting, bending, sitting, sleeping, and doing chores both at work and in the home